Monday, March 28, 2011

The "coloured hair thing".

Growing up, I was always aware that my hair was “different” from my mother’s and my sisters. It caused great frustration, to both me and my mother, (who had to groom my “kroesie” hair).

My mother tried everything on my dry hair, from Amla, to coconut to olive oil. Allegra, (my older sister) had an explanation for it all; “Your hair was scorched while you were in the incubator.”

I had my first Sheen straightener done at the age of 12. My mom had one look at me and said, “Cindy, I would put this stinky stuff in the tube on my hair every single day if I was you.” The hairdresser nearly fell on her back and explained to my mom that it was a harsh chemical that could burn my scalp and lead to hair loss.

Mark Lottering based his first comedy show on how obsessed coloured people are with straight hair. It brought me back to reality and made me laugh at how obsessed I was with my hair. I hope that from here onwards, others, (who share similar childhood memories) will not scar their kids into making them believe that their hair “maketh the person”. Love yourself.

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny! I'm still recovering from my traumatic hair experiences, and the photos my mom has doesn't seem to make recovery any easier.

    ReplyDelete